Sunday, November 8, 2009

Assignment 7: Primary Source Document Reflection

Benjamin Wadsworth, A Well-Ordered Family (Boston, 1712).

- What did you learn about life in the colonies from reading this document?

I learned from reading this document that marriage and religion are very important. Religion is the rules of life. Men ruled over there women in a kind way. Women did not work they were housewives.

- What surprised you the most about what you read? It surprised me to read this document because I feel like if everyone would follow this document, life would be kind and happy forever. But not everyone could live like this.Not every woman or man could be so kind to there lover.

- Compare and contrast the differences between American life today and life for Americans during the colonial era.

The difference is that woman and man are equals now. Women can work as hard as men and they couldn't back then. Men are not the rulers of the relationship today. Not every couple gets married like they did then. I loved reading this document because it made me feel like I was from then, when religion had a big toll on your every day life and love. It felt like religion was carried through love and your soul.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful reflection. I am glad that this reading touched you so much. I, like you, wish that marriage in U.S. society was thought of as more important, and not half of all U.S. marriages would end in divorce.

    30/30 points.

    ReplyDelete